So, our first year of business, 2016, was...weird. Probably not a good sign, but we certainly got over some major hurdles.
So, here's what happened this year:
- We founded (yay!) and published our first product: StoryCube: The Roleplaying Game based on the awesome Rory's Story Cubes.
- We appeared (via our voices) on The Tome Show to talk about StoryCube and the nature of non-tactical roleplaying.
- We published 6 Adventures/Settings for StoryCube
- Greg Schulze published The Anarch, a short story tie-in with his upcoming Dales of The Great Wyrm Lake RPG
- We sold 18 copies of StoryCube: The RPG in digital download, 8 in paperback, and had a total of 328 downloads of its adventures.
Not bad for two Minnesotans doing almost no advertising whatsoever.
- Stone left the company due to a series of horrible day-job situations.
- Greg took the helm as the company's very capable lead while Stone got his shit together.
- Stone returned to the company due to a series of awesome day-job situations.
So, what's in the future?
Well, looking forward, I think the following are pretty likely to happen in 2017 based on conversations between Greg and myself:
- The publishing of Greg Schulze's The Dales of The Great Wyrm Lake based on his Pentra Gaming System, a d10-based tactical RPG system.
- The release of the StoryCube: Tactical RPG System as an SDK for roleplaying games utilizing Rory's Story Cubes.
- The publishing of a yet-unnamed Lovecraftian Horror RPG based on the StoryCube: Tactical RPG System.
- Some adventures in these two settings
- Some books? Maybe? I dunno. I'm writing some novellas, so probably those sometime, eh?
- Some other stuff. Maps, additional settings, adventures in those other settings. Really, who knows what we'll want to make during the next year.
- A new podcast!
I'm a genius, and I have time on my hands, I'm pretty sure I can make this happen. Tentatively, it'll cover playtests, game reviews, and game design theory.
And that, my dear players, concludes The State of The Onion for the end of 2016 and the beginning of 2017.
Look forward to a lot of awesome stuff from us in the coming year. We've only just begun to find our footing.